Skip to main content

Will BJP Win Back The Backward Caste Vote With Its Big Push For Social Justice?



The Bharatiya Janata Party will observe a ‘social justice fortnight’ from Aug. 15 to Aug. 30 as it looks to counter a perception that it works against the interests of backward communities.
That comes after the Parliament approved a bill seeking to grant constitutional status to the Other Backward Classes Commission and another to strengthen a law that protects Dalits against atrocities. Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led government also plans to observe a ‘social justice week’ from Aug. 1-9 next year onwards.
Highlighting the importance of voters belonging to Scheduled Caste, Scheduled Tribe and Other Backward Classes, political commentator Amitabh Tiwari said these communities played a major role in electing the BJP in 2014. “One-fourth of the BJP’s seats come from the reserved category,” Tiwari said. “So, it wants to give a message that it's for the protection of the Dalit community’s rights. That’s why this renewed push.”
The Modi government faced criticism after violence against Dalits by cow vigilantes and the Supreme Court’s verdict allowing anticipatory bail and preliminary enquiry before registration of a case under the SC and ST Prevention of Atrocities Act. That was seen as a dilution of the law.
The BJP’s performance as far as empowering the SC and ST communities are concerned has been abysmal, according to Avatthi Ramaiah, professor at Tata Institute of Social Sciences. “Atrocities against the SC and ST communities have increased (after 2014),” Ramaiah said. “The crime rate against SCs has increased manifold and has been more brutal.”
While Tiwari said India needs to revisit its reservation policy and move towards demography-based system to benefit targeted people, Ramaiah argued that the nation first needs to get rid of the caste system.
Tiwari, however, said if the BJP tries to reach out to the minority communities in a bid to win the 2019 elections, it may face challenges to retain its upper-caste core voters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Stop Overthinking Everything: 12 Simple Habits

What is holding people back from the life that they truly want to live? I’d say that one very common and destructive thing is that they think too much. They overthink every little problem until it becomes bigger and scarier than it actually is. They overthink positive things until they don’t look so positive anymore. Or overanalyze and deconstruct things and so the happiness that comes from just enjoying something in the moment disappears. Now, thinking things through can be a great thing of course. But being an overthinker can result in becoming someone who stands still in life. In becoming  someone who self-sabotages the good things that happen in life . I know. I used to overthink things a lot and it held me back in ways that weren’t fun at all. But in the past 10 years or so I’ve learned how to make this issue so small that it very rarely pops up anymore. And if it does then I know what to do to overcome it. In this article I’d like to share 1

EXPLORE INTERESTING THINGS ABOUT INDIAN CULTURE

        Indian Culture and traditions are something which has now become renowned all across the world.  We all refer to India and its culture as something very diverse and unique. But seldom do we give a thought to why things are done in certain specific ways. Indian Culture is full of several unique customs and traditions, which outsiders might find really intriguing. Most of these originate from the Ancient Indian scriptures and texts, which have dictated the way of life in India for thousands of years. Here are 11 interesting customs and traditions of India: 1. The Namaste The namaste is one of the most popular Indian customs and isn?t really just restricted to the Indian territory anymore. You have Barack Obama, who has been seen doing it on various occasions, or you had Ban Ki-moon, the UN Secretary-General, greeting everyone with a namaste at the Times? Square in New York on the first International Yoga Day. But, what?s the significance? The Namaste, o

The 15-minute daily ritual that drastically improved my confidence

I started making time to review every day in an attempt to make it easier for me to stick to the  goals  I'd set. The experiment had an unintended consequence: It gave me a greater appreciation for all the progress I'm making, thereby increasing my  confidence . One of the keys to keeping this habit is  accountability  - I set up a weekly call with a friend where we discuss our progress. So much is lost in the rush of daily  life . At the end of a busy work day, I've often closed out my tabs feeling exhausted, but also somewhat confounded.  What did I even do today? Am I actually becoming the  writer  I want to be?  Lots of questions, zero answers. And as my questions piled up, so did the self-doubt and second-guessing. So I decided to make a change. I started setting aside time every day to recognize what I'd done and thereby keep tabs on my progress toward short- and long-term goals. I've always been a fan of working smarter and